14.7.11

July, year 3

Mother held me in one arm.

Holding a small air tight jar in another.

I looked on to her. Then the jar.


I heard clicks.

The sudden blast of lights blinded my eyes.



I was barely two. That's the closest
my memory could bring.
We appeared on what seems to be a product shot in a photo printout, or an A5 flyer. We were the talents for the Brand's Essence of Chicken.

You want to see it, don't you?



I grew up looking at it. Every day, every year. Mother pasted it on Father's cupboard in the storeroom (it's my room now). I never knew the "importance" of it. I'm a talent even before I know what's advertising. That's a valuable piece, at least for me.

Paper breaks apart when its exposed to the environment for years. We did a major spring cleaning and threw the leftover bits away. What's left is the now-antiqued mahogany cupboard, and unpeelable weathered stickers from the late-hippies era, deeply engraved into the wood grains.

Few years ago, it came
back into my mind. It was during Mother's Day and her birthday. It could be a very special gift to her. I emailed Brand's regarding the flyer. Hoping for just a single word from them.

But to no avail.




Mother's birthday is coming near. I've drafted the email to be sent to Brand's again. And hopefully, I could hear from them this time. I also sent out my message to some people in the industry. Hoping that few would know the ad veterans back then.

Thirty years is a very long time. The agency that handles the account might have closed shop. The printer might have disposed the materials already. Maybe not even the printing plates or negatives.

I will keep trying.

To many, it's a no biggie appearing in a piece of paper. But to me, it means a whole lot more. It's a reminiscence of Mother and me. Something that can't be bought by money and time.

Something, that can't be replaced.



This will the third year in the searching.



-----



Mail sent. No words. Guess I should make a stroll at the factory.

Edited 15.8.11, 3:56am

7 comments:

  1. Good Luck! and I hope they respond, at least. Or maybe you should go to the factory directly? But still, I hope u find it soon ;)

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Btw, did u try google? LOL! U'll never know u'll find it there ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Venie, Google is the first thing I did. Factory... hmmm... I didn't think of that. But worth a try. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. heck, u made me wanna see the flyer badly. search harder birthie!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Birthmark,

    Better go to the factory directly, and if you can find ppl who work there for a long time and willing to help is better. ;)

    you're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, Venie. Hope those people are still there. As I'm running out of idea of where else to search.

    ReplyDelete